Gastronomy by Chef Edil Costa
Man does not live by noble meats alone. Gone are the days when filet mignon reigned supreme. With the recent rise in beef prices in Brazil, looking for less noble meats and consequently lower costs, can be an excellent alternative to save money.
So, let's get to know a little better a cut that can fulfill the role of protagonist on your table. The ossobuco, cow hand or even chambaril. It takes on different forms of preparation and names depending on the region or country, but the end result is always a dish full of flavor and history.
A muscle, taken from the foot of the ox, which has the marrow in the central part that gives a unique flavor to the dish after its preparation.
In Ceará, we know it as cow's hand, a clear reference to the animal's paw. A strong, hearty meal that fed the country man in the morning for a hard day's work. Hence the habit of many people from Ceará to eat this dish for breakfast. Here we prepare it in a simple way. A stew with traditional seasonings such as garlic, onion, paprika, paprika, tomato, chili pepper and green smell to finish. and still add potato and pumpkin. We usually serve it with couscous or a mush made with the broth of the stew.
In Italy this dish is known as ossobuco, and is found in Brazilian restaurants. The name literally means bone with a hole. Famous in the Lombardy region, it is an affectionate food, present in Italian homes, especially on special dates. It is also a constant accompaniment to risotto alla milanese.
Ossobuco with Creamy Polenta – Gastronomy
Portion 4 people
3 hours of slow cooking or 40 minutes of pressure
- 4 pieces of ossobuco;
- 1 stalk of celery;
- 1 carrot;
- 2 onions;
- 1 cup of wheat flour;
- 1 glass of red wine;
- 100 ml olive oil;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Make a marinade with the wine and vegetables – 12 hours;
- Dip the meat in flour and brown in oil;
- Add the vegetables from the marinade and let it sauté;
- Cover with the marinade wine and let it cook for 3 hours or until the meat is very tender;
- If necessary, add water when drying;
- At the end of cooking, add the rosemary.
Ingredients for Creamy Polenta
500g cornmeal or instant polenta dough;
- 1 onion;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 1 liter of vegetable or meat broth;
- 100g of mozzarella cheese;
- 50g of butter;
- 100ml of fresh cream.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter;
- Add the broth and let it taste;
- Let the water boil and add the cornmeal little by little, stirring well until it cooks;
- To add creaminess, add the cheese and cream;
- Finish with a little more butter.
Serve the ossobuco with this polenta. Hand of cow or ossobuco, here or in Italy, no matter the name or place, is a guarantee of success.
Tip - Ask your butcher for cuts from the animal's hind leg, it is usually softer.
Know more about Edil Costa gastronomy